Saturday 6 April 2013

Cookies And Cream - Simple Ice Cream Sandwiches

My little nephew's nut and seed allergy continually encourages us to get baking and creating safe alternatives for family events... a few weeks ago my sister hosted a bbq and I decided I'd make my own ice cream sandwiches using store bought ice cream and home made Oreo like, chocolate biscuits.



I used an Amy Atlas recipe and followed this fab. tutorial posted by smitten kitchen.

You could certainly make your own ice cream as well, I simply used a store bought "nephew safe" variety but if you are lactose intolerant, limiting your sugar or just prefer the taste of lovely home made ice cream, I definitely recommend making your own.


Full Recipe and method - here
To make your biscuits
2 2/3 cups (335 grams) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup (75 grams) extra dark or Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks or 285 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Sift Flour and cocoa together and set aside then cream butter, sugar and salt together until fluffy then add the yolks and vanilla and mix till combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and gradually add the flour bit by bit until combined.

once your dough is mixed roll out to 4-5mm thick between two sheets of baking paper and place in the freezer for 5 mins... once slightly frozen you can cut out your shapes and place on a lined baking tray... then use a folk to piece holes though the centre.


Bake for 15- 18 minutes depending on your oven and the thickness of the biscuits... when cooked they should stay firm when tapped in the centre.



while your biscuits are baking soften your ice cream and place in a lined slice pan then set in the freezer until it freezes and your biscuits are have cooled.

Then cut the ice cream into shapes equal to your biscuits, sandwich and freeze till they are to be served. 



Enjoy!!
xx

2 comments:

  1. Your biccies look so perfect Tina, like one's you've bought from the shops (bet yours are much more delicious though!)
    How are you btw? I haven't seen a post from you for a while...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely lady,

    I am so glad you think so, I must say I was happy with the way these biccies turned out!.
    You are so right I have been totally MIA, so sweet of you to ask there have been a few things going on over here but I am back and ready to post away baby! So glad to be back in your company xx. Hope you are well... loving that amazing chevron European cushion need to know where to get one!!. xx Tina

    ReplyDelete

I just love reading comments, thank you for taking the time and for stopping by!