Saturday 20 April 2013

Antique Find - Lionel Lindsay Morning Glory!

My husband and I like to collect the odd piece of Australian art every now and then and I have always loved the work of Lionel Lindsay, partly because he depicts romantic scenes of India, around the time my grandparents were young adults, having returned from front line service with the British Army in WW1 starting their families and because his work is simply beautiful.

This wood engraving entitled 'Morning Glory' needs a bit of restoration but is signed and part of an edition of only 100.




 My parents have his "Palaces, Benares" of particular significance as my maternal Grandfather was from Varanasi 
Artist: LINDSAY, Lionel | Title: Palaces, Benares | Date: 1930 | Technique: drypoint, printed in brown ink, from one plate | Copyright: Courtesy of the National Library of Australia


this is another fave wood engraving by Lionel Lindsay - love the Spanish doll

Lionel Lindsay also has a number of breathtaking watercolours this one entitled Udaipur


xx
Enjoy your weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love reading comments, thank you for taking the time and for stopping by!