Monday 30 January 2012

Circa 20's Original Painting




This was an Auction purchase I couldn't let go... a circa 20's original painting by a female illustrator of the time Doris Palthorpe. I haven't been able to find a lot of information about her but I'm so glad I found this small example of her work. You can find postcards and prints of scenes much like this but to have an original is a really lovely thing.

The lanterns above and the chaise lounge, in the backgound, are so beautiful. It is a gorgeous account of fancy dress parties of the 20's and 30's or perhaps it's a post circus after party scene???. How sweet are the two central love birds!.

This is what I love about buying antiques and vintage items, you just don't know what you will find and when. This painting was displayed on the bottom corner wall at a weekly sale in Melbourne if you blinked you would've missed it... it pays to scour on viewing day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love reading comments, thank you for taking the time and for stopping by!