Tuesday 29 January 2013

Tretchikoff's Chinese Girl Painting Up For Grabs March 20th

You would be hard pressed to find a vintage collector who doesn't love or own something from Vladimir Tretchikoff's body of work. I myself have the two mid century prints seen below and I'm always on the lookout for the Hindu Dancer or the Balinese Girl in mint condition and in their original frames... but if I had a spare 500,000 pounds I'd definitely raise my paddle at Bonhams on the 20th of March when Tretchikoff's original painting of the Chinese Girl is offered for sale for the first time in 60 years!. 

Tretchikoff
Pinterest

(Ebay)

According to the BBC this brilliant work, painted in 1952, features a young Moniker Sing-Lee who was spotted by the artist while working in her Uncle's Cape Town Laundrette... wonder if they had any idea of the significance and popularity that would follow???. 

table,, stool, flowers, Tretchikoff
Pinterest

We definitely need Tretchikoff's Chinese Girl painting.  we have it

Barsony & Tretchikoff - love it!
pinterest

6 comments:

  1. wow isn't it a beautiful image. I am yet to find any prints on my travels...except a few that have been just a tad out of my price range....but I will put the vibes out there...maybe 2013 is my year for tretchikoff!
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So beautiful Allison - wasn't he an amazing artist... I know what you mean about the price range thing you see them around but I too like a nice price so the hunt continues for me as well... My Miss Wong Print came with a Boots Frames department sticker at the back - only wish Ikea or Target's frame department stocked the same today!. xx

      Delete
  2. I have a Chinese Girl print in a lovely original frame, a birthday present from my husband years ago. I couldn't even dream of buying an original though, even the prints I find these days are too pricey for me!
    And on Barsony, I had my Grandmother's original Barsony lamp (my Mum bought it for her with her very first pay-packet). It was in beautiful, virtually un-used condition (it was kept in the 'best' room - ha!) until a shelf installed by the above husband (ahem!) fell from the wall and smashed it into tiny pieces! I was devastated. Seven years ago, and I still haven't forgiven him. Anyway I have kept all the pits of china/plaster, the lampshade and the wooden base, in the hope that one day I will get it repaired. I have been advised that this is a job for an expert (not good) I still haven't told my Mum (luckily we're always renovating so she's used to us having most of our precious things in storage) The time will come though when I will have no choice but to 'fess up, and I am NOT looking forward to it!
    Sorry for the long comment Tina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed lovely lady - thanks for sharing. What a gorgeous gift from your hubby, I think I've spotted your one hanging on that fab geometric wallpaper under your sofa... Regarding the Barsony, my heart goes out to you omg Kylie you poor thing... how gorgeous that your Mum bought it for her Mum with her first pay packet, definitely a hard one to admit to your Mum I can totally understand how you would feel xx Tina hope you are having a lovely day

      Delete
  3. i love these paintings and prints!
    i didn't know about the artist, so thanks for sharing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! He was an amazing artist, I'm pretty sure Tretchikoff's work was overlooked/rejected by the art world at the time, little did they know his iconic prints would become some of the most recognized images of the 50's & 60's so he certainly had the last laugh ... so glad this post was of interest :).
      xx Tina

      Delete

I just love reading comments, thank you for taking the time and for stopping by!