Thursday 31 January 2013

Simple DIY Artwork - Graphic Print Vintage Scarves As Art

Simple and affordable art is not easy to come by but with the right scarf, some thumb tacks or staples and a canvas you can achieve maximum visual impact for next to nothing. I found this DIY scarf project while hunting around interiorsaddict who invited Frith Huck to share this fabulous, simple DIY project last year.

This could be really great for thrifters alike as it allows you to display those vintage silk scarves and fabric offcuts we tend to come across at charity stores cheaply and simply.

I'm in love with the image below, horse head, fu dogs, bright colours and the juju hat = all my faves!.



Frith Huck's designer scarves - image courtesy of design addict
All you need is a canvas pre stretched as seen in the image above lower left corner (you can pick these up at all craft stores and some variety/discount stores) 
Lay the scarf out flat face side down, place the canvas over the top, centre it, then gather one end and staple or use thumb tacks to secure to the back of the canvas.
Repeat this on all sides making sure the scarf sits flush against the canvas.



Framed vintage scarves

here's another technique for framing scarves - grab a frame open up the back, lay the scarf down facing out make sure there are no creases and fix the back board in place. here

Marcus Design Inc - Hermes, oh my!

DIY vintage silk scarf shower curtain

Vintage Scarf Curtain - Pinterest another fantastic use of vintage scarves

Bedspread made from vintage scarves

vintage scarf patchwork bedspread - pinterest

House and Garden via Napoleon Perdis
vintage scarf pillows

Marcus Design Inc

12 comments:

  1. I love: vintage scarf curtain, vintage scarf bedspread and the pic from Vint9e (I've got boxes of vintage Italian hankies from the 70's - I think this might be a good way of doing something with them they are too beautiful to be left languishing in the shed for much longer!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you like the pics Kylie... I'm with you with all your faves.. your Italian handkerchiefs sound perfect for this, I'd love see the finished product if you do happen to frame them... Can imagine that they are definitely way too beautiful to be in storage. xx Tina

      Delete
    2. What else is in this shed? I'm thinking I might frame mine, great idea!

      Delete
    3. Glad this was inspiring for you Pippa, I'd love to see the finished product xx Tina
      P.S can you imagine the amazing treasures in Kylie's garage, my goodness me that would be one garage sale I'd love to go to!.
      xx Tina

      Delete
  2. ahhh the infamous shed!. we should all make a pilgrimage there...it can be our mecca!. I wanna see me some hankies!.
    great collection of pics Tina....the curtain is the winner.
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pilgrimage to the vintage holy land for sure, I want to see the hankies too!
      Really glad you like the images, hope you are having a great week
      xx Tina

      Delete
  3. Wow, what gorgeous images. The curtains are to die for. I made cushion covers out of two of my vintage scarves but then I sold a the rest of my very small collection because, like Kylies, they were just languishing in a drawer. Why did I do that? Seriously cross now....xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Loo,
      Thrilled you like the pics, the curtains are definitely proving to be a winner - if only I could sew as beautifully as you, no doubt your cushions are just brilliant, can't believe the rest were sold but when they are lying around in boxes I totally get it. :)
      xx Tina

      Delete
  4. Fabulous ideas!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liz,
      So glad you like what you see, thanks for stopping by :).
      xx Tina

      Delete
  5. Sorry, my earlier comment was meant for this post. Looking forward to reading more of your blog. You have a great eye for color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marium,
      So nice to meet you. Love your blog, following you back and looking forward to discovering the vintage treasure and more that comes your way. Thank you so much for the gorgeous compliment that is so nice of you.
      Have a great week
      xx Tina

      Delete

I just love reading comments, thank you for taking the time and for stopping by!